Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member

BSA R10 Pre-charged air rifle

I was a very silly boy and purchased myself a BSA R-10 yesterday in .22 calibre (right hand stock) along with a 3-9x50 scope and gunbag.

The stock is walnut and rosewood with lovely chequering just where you want it.

There's a pressure gauge under the fore-end along with a quickfill probe so you don't need to take the buddy bottle off whenever you want to fill it.

Bolt action, 10 round rotary magazine with the safety on the left hand side of the action, just in the right place for your right thumb.

Butt pad is height adjustable, and it has a fully adjustable match trigger which is a joy to use. Out of the factory it has a nice first stage, and a lovely crisp second stage / release with no creep that I could detect; and the pull is just about spot on for me.

It comes with QD swivel mounts pre-installed in the stock, so fitting a sling or a bipod is going to be a doddle.

I've left everything factory standard for the time being, although I will probably adjust the butt pad height a little.

Weight is about 7.5lb when you add the scope and scope mounts on top, and it has a fully shrouded silenced barrel, so it's pretty damn quiet, and the muzzle break unscrews to reveal a standard 1/2 inch UNF thread if you want to fit an extra supressor as well for super-stealthy vermin bashing.

Weight is wonderfully balanced, and it sits in hands and against the shoulder really nicely. The cheek riser is a lovely shape too, although I think I need to tweak the butt pad height slightly just to adjust my eye position a fraction more.

Like the good old superten, it's fully regulated for consistent shot performance off the 232 bar 200cc bottle and while it's not going to be as awesome as a Daystate with it's electronic regulation it should still be pretty damn good. Power according to BSA is 570 ft/sec, 187m/sec for .22

Oh, and it has the BSA logo laser etched into the stock just by the butt pad. Which is cute.

So how does it shoot?

LIKE A DREAM

I got invited along to a rifle club in Croydon that shoots air-only on a Thursday night from 7:30ish, so this was it's first outing with me.

Shot two of the zeroing targets that I posted the link to at 25m in order to get the sight sorted (only needed a couple of clicks so thanks to Peter at Surrey Guns for doing a top job setting it up for me before I bought it), then spent an very enjoyable 2 and a half hours knocking over a bunny, pigeon and rat FT knock-downs and setting spinners going - all shot from either seated position (using hands resting on bench for support, but no bench rest or bipod) or from standing.

Also shot 3 standard 25m targets and I was very impressed with myself! Each was shot from a seated position with a full magazine from the R-10 (that's 10 pellets) with the scope on 3x magnification firing RWS Superdomes.

Had a session plinking at spinners and knock-downs in between each target.

First one - shot at about 7:50pm, shortly after finishing zeroing the scope. One flier caused by poor breathing control, but I was pretty chuffed regardless...

Second one - shot at about 8:30pm

Third one - shot at 9:15pm

Not bad for someone who hasn't handled an air rifle in about 16 years eh? I put it down entirely to how much of a pleasure the R10 is to handle and shoot.

Need to work on my breathing and stance, and hopefully that will help improve my shooting when standing. I was hitting the smallest spinner 99% of the time seated, but only about 55% of the time standing.

My verdict - money well spent. I can't see myself ever outshooting this beauty, so this is definately one for the long term. Can't comment on performance against vermin in a pest control role, but if the performance at 25m in the hands of a very rusty shooter is anything to go by.....
    Last edited by TallNHairyDave; 01-05-09 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Added some more photos

Re: BSA R10 Pre-charged air rifle

Nice review and good shooting. Perhaps, try using some other pellets as well. You may find a particular brand suit your air rifle better then others improving your grouping even more. I find Crossman Accupells good.

Simon

VIP Member

Thanks Simon. I was well pleased with those groupings in light of my not having shot for ages!

Might give the accupels a try - thanks for the suggestion.

Going to pick up a bipod for bench rested shooting to work on groupings and give her a good workout while removing some of the "hand shake" / poor breath control from me that is affecting it.

Been reading some worrying stuff about the R-10 over on the BSA Owners Group forum about accuracy issues and problems with power suddenly dropping off

Mine seems to be fine though *touch wood* at least from the session this evening.
    Last edited by TallNHairyDave; 01-05-09 at 12:22 AM.

I would be proud with those groupings as well. Which reminds me I need to dust off my air rifle and get a bit of shooting in.
    With regards to the Accupels, I think they are a bit like marmite to air rifles - they either love them or hate them lol.
    It may be worth investing in one of these http://www.pellpax.co.uk/acatalog/Pe...ple_Packs.html to find out which pellet works best.
    Enjoy!

Simon

VIP Member

Thanks again Simon - unfortunately the Pellpax sampler for .22 is out of stock otherwise I'd definately go for it, perfect for trying out pellets to see which is best and a good range too! Just measured the grouping on the third target and it's 0.91" wide at it's widest by 1.25" tall (i.e. fully enclosing all the holes)
    Last edited by TallNHairyDave; 01-05-09 at 12:34 AM.

Maker

I might have a few assorted .22 pellets knocking around Dave [EDIT: I just had a good look and they all went when I sold my S400, sorry.]. You really do need to try all the pellets you can get your hands on, the differences between even very similar looking pellets from the same manufacturer can be very surprising; see the difference between accupell and premier below, both from Crossman and both look near identical.

One advantage of a good air rifle is that you can save money on targets if you have a pen handy
    Last edited by Ropeman; 01-05-09 at 08:07 AM.
    If work was a good thing, the rich would have it all and not let you do it.
    Elmore Leonard

I sew custom nylon stuff, have a look at this thread Or at the Facebook page.

VIP Member

Nice rifle, do BSA do left hand stocks?

Nice shooting there folks
    I ask people who grumble' he said, ' if they ever heard the story of John Travers Cornwell. ...

That looks very nice and it looks like you've taken to it really well, considering those groupings I wish my hands weren't so screwed up, otherwise I'd consider one. When a pistol-grip or skeleton stock comes available I might try it ... but for now my FX Verminator will do

VIP Member

Ropeman - Whoa Ropey, I see what you mean mate! WOW. The difference is pretty huge! Will definately try and get some assorted pellets. Shame the Pellpax sampler pack is out of stock for .22

Spike
    - The left handed stock isn't out yet. According to BSA it'll be out "Mid 2009"

Kane - thanks mate!

ChrisR - thanks mate! Ooooh. The FX Verminator - I've seen pics of that and it looks pretty awesome. What's it like?

Your reviews are always great, Dave. Very thorough, very considered. 'S just a shame I can't find your smiley on the internet

I'm getting my HW90K later, i suppose I should get a review up...At some point.

VIP Member

Nice review.

I do really like the look of the R10 as well.

Very compact for a bottle gun.

Mark
    Reviews Here (Mainly Torches at the moment + the odd knife now!)
    New Host www.cones-stuff.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by TallNHairyDave View Post
    ChrisR - thanks mate! Ooooh. The FX Verminator - I've seen pics of that and it looks pretty awesome. What's it like?
    Pretty awesome!

But seriously, yeah it is about the only rifle I can heft and shoulder easily with my knackered hands. It is quite light and the weight is very much towards the rear, in the shoulder, which suits me down to the ground because I can't support the barrel of a rifle with an outstretched arm. It shoots very well - precise, predictable and with a high shot-count between fills - about 150+ for .177 and 200+ for .22

Stripping them down is a bit fiddly but I managed to get to all the necessary bits with a bit of guidance. Deben, the current distributor, are also excellent - after a frustrating day trying to get a jammed screw out I chatted with Liam and he spent 30 minutes telling me everything I would ever need to know about the job ... and then volunteered to do all the upgrades I was planning for just the cost of parts and shipping!

Wonderful rifle, Dave..

I`ll give you a year to one and a half, before you get a centrefire...
    Best regards

Harry

Trader

From his past history I'd give him about two weeks before it's for sale in the classifieds with lots of freebies
    WARNING contents of this post may not be consistant with reality
    Please copy and paste the following to taste !,'.()"";:?

Thread Information