Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Canadian Knife law

Off to Canada & Alaska in a couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me if there's anything I need to know regarding EDC. Thinking of taking a little slippy as EDC and a little Sebbie & perhaps a Leatherman.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Rols

Re: Canadian Knife law

i was the only black man for miles around , therefore everyone knew me, but i knew no one. quote by my great grandfather.

There are the usual no-nos: balisongs, push daggers switchblades etc. Slippies and locking pocket knives are fine, large lockers in belt pouches are not an issue usually, fixed blades will be frowned upon in cities but are fine in most of the countryside... just remember to remove it from your belt when shopping.
    Mostly just use common sense....
    Where are you going?

Enjoy the trip
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Besides the restrictions on opening mechanism there are two additional policies you need to be aware of. The first is concealment, technically its not allowed at all, even a SAK can get you in trouble, ie.

90. (1) Every person commits an offence who carries a weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition concealed, unless the person is authorised under the Firearms Act to carry it concealed.
    This quote from the link is not accurate: Police forces here consider your intent as to wether or not anything is a weapon. However, don't go out for a night on the town with a Buck 110 on your belt, it may be misinterpreted.
    Dave

Thanks for the info chaps

Rols

From what Canadian friends tell me, apart from switchblades/balisongs etc, it's pretty much a massive grey area.

If the cop who stops you is happy the machete on your hip is for cleaning horses' hooves, you're fine. If he thinks your SAK is for stabbing people, you're not.

They basically don't worry about it and carry whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerthumb View Post
    There are the usual no-nos: balisongs, push daggers switchblades etc. Slippies and locking pocket knives are fine, large lockers in belt pouches are not an issue usually, fixed blades will be frowned upon in cities but are fine in most of the countryside... just remember to remove it from your belt when shopping.
    Mostly just use common sense....
    Where are you going?

Enjoy the trip
    Pretty much how it is over here.
    I carry a fixed blade most days but not when i go in town. nearly always have a locker with me.
    Hope you enjoy Canada. Which part you going?

I've got family out in Alberta & Saskatchewan but no idea where. Hoping to get out there sometime toward the end of the year. Never been!

My great uncle is/was a mounty
    George, Surrey UK

VIP Member

The only articulations of the law I have seen or been told of (apart for the usual suspects) are as Kniven says grey.

I carry whatever whenever, but I ge tthe impression that the whole Canadian ethos in this area is based on appropriateness and whatever is sensible. An A2 in a downtown bar is a no no, especially if you also have a a pocket full of whizz, an overconfident air and a swastika tattooed over one eye.

Everything else is just fine

I carry a TK4 as a matter of course

pretty wide open here, i carry a CKRT M16 every day, allways carried a knife since i was about 6 yrs old ,never been a issue 30 plus years now, lived here all my life never had a issue, except on comercial flights, common sense carry.

Quote Originally Posted by George21 View Post
    I've got family out in Alberta & Saskatchewan but no idea where. Hoping to get out there sometime toward the end of the year. Never been!

My great uncle is/was a mounty
    The city of Calgary (Alberta) has a bylaw preventing any part of the knife being visible.
    Also many bars have a no knife law, here in British Columbia it is technically illegal to have a knife in any place that sells alcohol (provincial liquor control act) however the only place they enforce it is in bars and nightclubs downtown.
    I am 44 and have carried an edc all my life and have never once had a problem with it. For many years the edc was a buck 110 carried on a belt pouch.
    A leatherman, small lockblade or slippy will be no trouble at all

authorities (cops and what have you) will freak out in Vancouver if your blade is larger than about 4 inches. The largest EDC I have is a MCUSTA MC1 Basic series, whose blade is 3.3 inches and that's as big as I feel comfortable wearing on me without worrying about it being confiscated. Even then I only carry knves that big occasionaly. I usually stick with 3 inches or less in terms of blade length.

Aside from intent, there are a lot of other unspoken rules or preferences authorities have ablout blades in vancouver. I actively train in Krav Maga and Escrima and in my classes there are two police officers. They give us a lot of tips about carrying EDC's without having the hassle of getting them confiscated even if they are legal. This is some of what they say: If the pocket clip on your locking knife is not visible and an officer finds it, it can get you into more trouble than if they seethe clip sticking out of your pants.

If they do see the clip and ask about it, they may ask misleading/trick questions. For example: "Why are you carrying a concealed weapon?" The response should be,"Oh, this is for *Insert occupation or hobby here.* to open boxes/cut rope/etc etc". I like to say that I use my folder to cut cheese and meats/any kind of food while I'm eating outside, which is what I usually do if i go out and eventually use my blade.

Always be polite and point out as well that since they saw the clip, it was technically not concealed. In the case where a police officer does confiscate your perfectly legal knife, you can politely ask what his name and badge number is, and where you can pick the knife up at a later time. They also have to fill out paper work and file it under an item number as well so ask for the confiscated item number it will be filed under. Usually this is too much of a hassle for the officer and he will let you go your merry way, knife in pocket, and do something like warn you not to open it excessively in public areas.

As an eskrimador, I prefer a liner lock with a pocket clip for fast opening in a defense scenario (never had to do so before and hopefully never will. My EDC's will only cut fruit, cheese, and meat/sandwiches hopefully... but it is nice to have some sort of feeling of protection. You need to know the risks of doing so however. There is always a fight on the street and a legal battle that ensues afterwards, so it is always imperative that use of a blade in defense as the absolute the last option. Like it was stated before, Intent is a big part in how blades are seen as legal or illegal, and if you use it against someone, even in self defense you will suffer for it legally. Of course, we know this is not what we all use our blades for, but I wanted to be absolutely clear. I digress and this is for another discussion though, so lemme get back to the topic at hand). Linerlocks with pocket clips generally are frowned upon though. I have changed my preference from matte-black-tactical looking folders to more gentleman looking blades like a seki-cut or a MCUSTA. They still fit the bill for my preferences, being liner locks with pocket clips, but they also don't look like Jason Bourne or rambo would EDC them. They have very nice lines and shapes that make people ask about them as opposed to scoff at why I would ever need to carry a knife.

Basically if you're ever in vancouver, you should know that although there are no official rules about length or preferences aside from concealment in terms of written down law, there are a lot of attitudes and biases towards knives you should be aware of as well.

EDIT: I reiterate: In Canada, if you describe your knife to a police officer as a tool for Self Defense, then it is IMMEDIATELY deemed a weapon, no matter the blade length or if it is a legal knife according to the knife laws extablished on paper. ALWAYS describe it as a tool to cut open boxes, cut food, use for gutting fish, or anything non-harmful to others AND use it accordingly. To ever use a knife against someone without a legitimate reason just gives us knife enthisuasts a bad name, anyways
    Last edited by thepepperskull; 10-07-10 at 08:05 AM.

Canadian knife law is 90% intent based , except where prohib. items are concerned . Part and parcel of the concealment issue would be some evidence that the device is in fact a weapon . Some evidence of Mens Rea would need to be produced , no chance it would be applied to a SAK in a pocket . If you were caught outside a club with a boot knife taped to your ankle , ( not clever ) you would be charged with poscession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace ( like Off Wep ) .

The only real justification for a knife is under a tool rubric , as such ; excessivley large items , and double edged knives would be much harder to justify in an Urban setting . ( as already noted ) .

Concealment - would imply a) Malice b) that the object was infact a weapon or intended to be used as such .

As a result of our climate , georgraphy and history , "just in case " is understood by both LEO's and courts . ( within reason )

A folder that can be readily flicked open might be a "Gravity Knife " . This is most often a "tack on" charge , keep pivots tight !

VIP Member

Canada - knife laws.......?

Tickets are booked - off on a two-week Harley tour next early summer.

I've Googled it, and it seems that if I carried a standard 4" blade on a folder that needs to be opened manually, then I am within the law........is that correct, would be grateful to Noddy, Dan'l and the likes please...?

......ps. ok, I should've done a Search - just found this http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...ada+knife+laws
    Last edited by Chui; 20-10-10 at 08:55 AM. Reason: ps
    I love not Man the less, but Nature more

It's not the years in our life that matter.......it's the life in our years

VIP Member

Re: Canada - knife laws.......?

I haven't been able to discover anything concrete in the time I have been here

Reactions to blades are mixed from the usual horror at a SAK from some Vancouver suburban types, to utter indifference to a Military from their next door neighbours.

But legally it seems that the real no nos are balisongs, flicks etc. Everything seems fine, so long as you don't pull it out in a bar

You'll get the feel of it, and will know what's OK straight away Chui, and a well spoken chap on a Harley isn't going to worry the RCMP much - and if you are in the woods definitely anything you like - there's a lot of old fashioned lunatic events in the woods
    Last edited by Noddy; 20-10-10 at 09:44 AM.

Thread Information