Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Account closed

Re: first sheath with my new sewing machine

Quote Originally Posted by helmar4578 View Post
    I am not familiar with the Adler so can not comment. I do know that the Artisan 3000 does NOT struggle with 3/4" of firm leather and is one of the best buys on the American market today. ---Sandy---

you are not familiar with the German made Adler 205-370 ?
    It's what all the copies in the united states are based on.

The sample was sent to me last year by the largest leather company i know in the U.S, WEAVER leather. they sell the Adler 205-370 and they will tell you all about why the rest of the copies in the U.S are not worth buying due to the cheap way they are made.

call them
    Farid

Quote Originally Posted by farid View Post

The sample was sent to me last year by the largest leather company i know in the U.S, WEAVER leather. they sell the Adler 205-370 and they will tell you all about why the rest of the copies in the U.S are not worth buying due to the cheap way they are made.

call them
    Farid
    i sewed 5, 8oz. pices of leather today and it worked fine this machine is great so far, one stich at a time, or fast works great i dont see any sheath it wont work on at least things i'll be working on .i had a chev that went 500,000 miles ran great and one that went 40,000 then broke

this is a good machine i'm no trying to sell them just wanted to show my sheath and brag that i had something to sew with i don't even care what machine is best hell i dont even want to make sheaths i want to make knives i have to make sheaths because the sheath makers charge to much for sheaths and making 100 knives in 1 1/2 years can't buy a sheath for all of them ,so for now its like tryin to learn a new hobby before i know how to even make knives
    clint

Clint & Darci
    www.ironarmknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by farid View Post

call them
    Farid
    Farid, I am pleased that you are satisfied with the Adler machines.
    They are indeed fine machines although somewhat over priced, and when compared to the Artisan they are grossly over priced. I do know the
    Weaver brothers personally and am very familiar with their machines.

The Artisan machines are what I use by preference. I have a 797ABLTHR for the lighter (up to 3/8 inch) and the Toro 4000 for the heavier stitching (up to 7/8 inch). It WILL stitch any thickness you can possibly fit between the plate and the presser foot.

The Artisan Toro line was/is based on the Juki, not the Adler. The Artisan casting is Chinese, but from there the internal parts represent a very large international community INCLUDING Germany.

The Artisan Toro 3000 which is the one you saw demonstrated at Blade is essentially the same machine as the Toro 4000 with the exception of the depth of the throat, but the selling price is considerably better than the 4000 and certainly MUCH better than the Adler and other competing machines. My 4000 cost me $4000 about 5 or 6 years go and that was less expensive than the Adler even at that time. As you noted while you were at Blade the Toro 3000 sells at about $2000.

As to the "failed" test you referred to of sewing thick samples at Blade. I can put you in touch with several Artisan owners who can and will stitch you a sample up to 7/8 inch thick with satisfactory results with ease.

Again, I am happy you are pleased with your Adler (assuming you even own one), because at the price you paid you deserve happiness.

Best Regards

Paul

Trader

yeah Farid and while your at it where's the photo and make sure I can see the three pin plug

Account closed

Quote Originally Posted by sheathmaker View Post
    Farid, I am pleased that you are satisfied with the Adler machines.
    They are indeed fine machines although somewhat over priced, and when compared to the Artisan they are grossly over priced. I do know the
    Weaver brothers personally and am very familiar with their machines.

The Artisan machines are what I use by preference. I have a 797ABLTHR for the lighter (up to 3/8 inch) and the Toro 4000 for the heavier stitching (up to 7/8 inch). It WILL stitch any thickness you can possibly fit between the plate and the presser foot.

The Artisan Toro line was/is based on the Juki, not the Adler. The Artisan casting is Chinese, but from there the internal parts represent a very large international community INCLUDING Germany.

The Artisan Toro 3000 which is the one you saw demonstrated at Blade is essentially the same machine as the Toro 4000 with the exception of the depth of the throat, but the selling price is considerably better than the 4000 and certainly MUCH better than the Adler and other competing machines. My 4000 cost me $4000 about 5 or 6 years go and that was less expensive than the Adler even at that time. As you noted while you were at Blade the Toro 3000 sells at about $2000.

As to the "failed" test you referred to of sewing thick samples at Blade. I can put you in touch with several Artisan owners who can and will stitch you a sample up to 7/8 inch thick with satisfactory results with ease.

Again, I am happy you are pleased with your Adler (assuming you even own one), because at the price you paid you deserve happiness.

Best Regards

Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul, I have not at any stage said I own an Adler 205-370, not yet but if I were to buy a machine which would do a much better job than the Tippmann Boss which I managed to totally break, then it would have to be the Adler machine.
    It is not that I am rulling out other machines, if I see it working and it does a good job, then i'll buy it.

At the end of the day when I am at a show and a company is trying to sell me an expensive machine and they say that their machine will stitch this or that and it fails miserably, THAT'S NOT A GOOD THING.

If you can put me in touch with a couple of people you know who have the Artisan machines that would be really good.

kind regards
    Farid

Account closed

Quote Originally Posted by mikesknives View Post
    yeah Farid and while your at it where's the photo and make sure I can see the three pin plug

Hi Mike, hahah,
    how are you today buddy. well as I mentioned in my original post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If I was going to buy a machine I would make sure it was an original German made Adler 205-370
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven’t bought the machine yet. I may do,
    take care mate
    Farid
    Last edited by farid; 30-06-09 at 07:29 PM.

Account closed

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    i sewed 5, 8oz. pices of leather today and it worked fine this machine is great so far, one stich at a time, or fast works great i dont see any sheath it wont work on at least things i'll be working on .i had a chev that went 500,000 miles ran great and one that went 40,000 then broke

this is a good machine i'm no trying to sell them just wanted to show my sheath and brag that i had something to sew with i don't even care what machine is best hell i dont even want to make sheaths i want to make knives i have to make sheaths because the sheath makers charge to much for sheaths and making 100 knives in 1 1/2 years can't buy a sheath for all of them ,so for now its like tryin to learn a new hobby before i know how to even make knives
    clint

Hi Clint,
    It's good if it works for you buddy, all I can tell you is when I took a look at the way the machine was struggling to do anything, missing stitches and everything, that wasn't good, I was thinking to buy one at the show before I saw that.

You see I have managed to totally destroy a Tippmann Boss already, I know you can’t compare an Artisan to a Tippmann machine, but when I have done all my research on this and ready to spend a lot of money on a machine I like it to be the best and the most reliable.

take care friend
    Farid
    Last edited by farid; 30-06-09 at 09:26 PM.

Farid, You are correct, the Tippman Boss cannot be compared to either the Adler or the Artisan. Incidentally, I did own and use a Tippman Boss machine for a number of years before I acquired my Artisan 4000. I found it to be the ideal tough little machine for a beginner to learn to sew on, and I also found it would handle just about anything I could get under the presser foot. I'm very surprised you were able to destroy it because it was a really stout little machine. I would imagine that if you could manage the destruction of the Boss, your new Adler, if and when, may suffer a similar fate.

I care little what you end up buying as it won't affect my good luck with all my machines and I do wish you the same good luck with whatever you choose.

PS: You have already been in touch with three Artisan owners who are satisfied....Me, Sandy Morrissey, and Clint in this thread. You either believe us or you don't. Your choice.

Best regards,

Paul

Account closed

Quote Originally Posted by sheathmaker View Post
    Farid, You are correct, the Tippman Boss cannot be compared to either the Adler or the Artisan. Incidentally, I did own and use a Tippman Boss machine for a number of years before I acquired my Artisan 4000. I found it to be the ideal tough little machine for a beginner to learn to sew on, and I also found it would handle just about anything I could get under the presser foot. I'm very surprised you were able to destroy it because it was a really stout little machine. I would imagine that if you could manage the destruction of the Boss, your new Adler, if and when, may suffer a similar fate.

I care little what you end up buying as it won't affect my good luck with all my machines and I do wish you the same good luck with whatever you choose.

PS: You have already been in touch with three Artisan owners who are satisfied....Me, Sandy Morrissey, and Clint in this thread. You either believe us or you don't. Your choice.

Best regards,

Paul
    Hi Paul,
    When I got the Tippmann Boss I was very happy, I started to make sheaths and after 3 months or so I broke the gear in the machine, then the shuttle went wrong, the timing went out etc etc. Tippman said this said that, bottom line is it is NOT a professional machine

Adler 205-370 is my first choice, also SEIKO SLH 2B and SEIKO TH8- B is acceptable as well,

thanks for your reply Paul.

If you get a chance to sew together the thickest piece of leather on your Artisan and send me a picture that would be good.
    take care
    Farid

banned

If anyone has the time or inclination, look at the Singer 45K family. They can be picked up 2nd hand in any price (UK) from under 100 to about 1200 or so for a fully serviced example from a dealer. Average seems to be about 450-600...

A LOT of the design features of the Singer 45K range were copied by Adler, Juki, Tippman, etc. either once the original Singer patent expired or as & when the above new companies commenced manufacture

Another lighter weight leather machine used for smaller scabbards & the like is the Singer 29K series; known as "patchers" as they were designed to sew in any direction to allow the repair of riding boot heels. Copies of the 29K, made in China & sold under various brands sell for anything from 10 to 20 (or more) times what you can pick up a used 29K for

The Adler 105 series, which are almost identical to the 205, can usually be found in excellent condition for about the same money as used late model Singer 45K's.

The BEST leather sewing machine (turns to avoid incoming!! ) was used to sew the traces for heavy horse harness.
    Made by the British United Shoe Machinery Co of Leicester, these were guaranteed to sew 7/8" (but have been known to do over this with an experienced operator).
    The No.6 Machine dates to the pre-WW1 period but will still outsew most things made since. It has to be transported as a seperate base/head due to the weight - both require a 2-person carry. Its a manual crank machine; though I did buy one once that had been rigged to a motor... The seller still had most of his fingers (the needles are 3mm dia & 95mm long )

Slightly off-topic re the original thread, but as the majority seemed to now be talking about machinery I thought I'd chip in with my 2c worth

Jon

p.s. The joke here is: I either HAVE or HAVE HAD all of the above (29K x 3, 45k x 3, Adler 105 x 1, BUSM No.6 x 2) but dont use ANY of them anymore. I prefer hand-sewing

Thread Information