Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: uk knife rights

uk knife rights

So who here feels that the uk nanny state is more than likely about to ban, not very likely. Or place heavy restictions on use,ownership,sales,manufacture of knives, will happen

The fact is i use like many poeple a knife every day at work, and due to the silly laws in this country that are already in place i have to use a small folding pockect knife, which are in my view are unsafe, you think there great untill you have one fold up on you!, then you don't think there so great.

this type of knife which is legalish to carry; a blade under 3" which folds, although even this type will get you locked up if the police stop you, and they feel that you should not have it with you, is not up to some of the work which is asked of it in the building trade.

now most of you will say well you have a need for a fixed blade or a lock blade, but you try and carry a fixed blade about on your belt, and the first time you nip out to the cafe/builders merchants/traveling to and from work,etc, i would bet that you would meet up with a nice day out in court defending yourself from a five year stay at hmp holiday homes, or you could just leave the knife in you tool box until you need it, than i could spend most day running to and from my tool box, when i could be drinking tea, and eating bacon rolls, or i mean working.

So now i come to the whole point of this post, which is that we as knife users,makers,collecters,retailers, will have no one to blame but ourselves when laws are passed which they will be!!!! that prevent us from using/making/collceting/selling/buying knives.

And we as poeple who care about knives must put our voice forward, to counter the media driven PC knife crime witch hunt. And the only way this is going to happen is if we stand up for ourselves and form a lobby group along the lines of the us based "knife rights" group

the last thing i want say in this opening post is to the poeple who think, that knives kill, the fact is knives don't kill, it sad to say, that its the fool behind the handle that is the one that kills, a knife is just a tool, mans oldest and most useful.

Rapier

to the moderators if this post is not in the right place please feel free to move it.

VIP Member

Re: uk knife rights

I would urge caution on this
    Whilst you have a point and most would agree to some extent, this forum tries very hard to avoid political stuff.
    The mods might well lock this thread to prevent it degenerating into a government bashing exercise.
    The law unfortunately is the law.
    just my 2p worth
    Take care
    Graham

yes your right to a certain point, but if gov bashing is what is called for than the gov must be bashed and poeple must start to think about the politcal stuff. Before the total criminalization, of knives and knife users is complete.

after all who will speak for us, the media won't, the gov won't, the genral public won't, as all they see are knife crime reports every were.

as to the mods locking this thread that is there right, and i abid by that.
    but we must find a way of puting our point across

all this thread is aimed at doing is to find thoughs who argee and want to help.

Rapier

Quote Originally Posted by rapier View Post
    yes your right to a certain point, but if gov bashing is what is called for than the gov must be bashed and poeple must start to think about the politcal stuff. Before the total criminalization, of knives and knife users is complete.
    Which part of "NO" don't you understand? Not here. If you feel strongly about the stuff, open your own forum and say what you think needs to be said. On this one, don't: we have rules, please follow them.

<snip>
    all this thread is aimed at doing is to find thoughs who argee and want to help.

Rapier
    I know English is not my native language, but if you're going to start writing to your MP I suggest you take time to proofread your own stuff
    Apart from that, NOT HERE.
    Well, everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out.

VIP Member

The fact is i use like many poeple a knife every day at work, and due to the silly laws in this country that are already in place i have to use a small folding pockect knife, which are in my view are unsafe, you think there great untill you have one fold up on you!, then you don't think there so great.

this type of knife which is legalish to carry; a blade under 3" which folds, although even this type will get you locked up if the police stop you, and they feel that you should not have it with you, is not up to some of the work which is asked of it in the building trade.

to the moderators if this post is not in the right place please feel free to move it.

Hi Rapier
    If you are a builder then a locking knife would probably be an acceptable piece of work equipment, and justified as legal to carry.
    If you need a work knife I would avoid the "tacticool looking" types of blade though.
    I would suggest that you carry a couple of knives, one for the building site, and one (like a SAK) for everywhere else (Cafes etc)
    The law is unlikely to be relaxed in our lifetimes so we just have to go with it, I have given up carrying a locking blade despite travelling 120 miles a day on fast(ish) roads and coming across RTA's occasionally
    A good strong slipjoint can fulfill most peoples needs

Take Care
    Graham

PS I think the mods will move this to the Law forum
    Last edited by Nursie; 05-07-09 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Spelling + more spelling mistakes

VIP Member

Rapier - this may be the place that people who treat knives as tools, curios etc hang out, but it does not mean we are political activists. Feel free to start your own forum catering for that.

Take a breath and start on the people who can have an affect on the laws - the MP's. You are preaching to the choir here.
    Ross

"The paranoid are merely those in full possession of the facts"

"Could it be because we choose not to identify with people who can only express themselves through rage and violence?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Rapier - this may be the place that people who treat knives as tools, curios etc hang out, but it does not mean we are political activists. Feel free to start your own forum catering for that.

Take a breath and start on the people who can have an affect on the laws - the MP's. You are preaching to the choir here.
    Plus it's Sunday morning, chill out dude.
    OIL THE JOINTS KEEP THE FAITH

banned

And on his first three posts!

You will probably be hard pressed to find a person on here that doesn't agree with you.

But this place is a haven of sanity, a sanctuary for like minded individuals to gather, discuss and enjoy our hobby without fear of persecution or the ravings of an uneducated public.

As others have said if you feel so strongly about it, canvass your MP (i have). Start your own forum for this purpose, many of us may join.

But please NOT HERE!

Account Closed
    Rapier, the others have given you some excellent advice on how we run this site. I'll add that you are mistaken as to what the law allows you to carry. It's perfectly OK to carry any sort of knife if you require it for work. You are not limited to a 3'' folder. However you need to be sure that you do have a legitimate work need for the knife.

u people just don't get it do you. you are going to lose what little rights you have to use/own.make enjoy knives

your replys have proved that the british would rather lose the rights, than kick up a fuss.

thank you again for the loss of my rights to carry and use a knife.

don't start moaning when all you can buy or own is a piontless gov approved cheap bit of tat.

wake up.

rapier has left this PC nazi forum, enjoy your brave new world, i've gone to hang myself, its the only option.

Administrator

Good bye.

Maker

So, let us know when you set up your political forum for the preservation of knife owning rights and I'm pretty certain that several members will join you over there.

Bit fascist of you to try to force your will on someone though, isn't it? One person owns this forum, he doesn't want it to be used for political reasons, why do you think you have a right to tell him what he should do?
    If work was a good thing, the rich would have it all and not let you do it.
    Elmore Leonard

I sew custom nylon stuff, have a look at this thread Or at the Facebook page.

Bye rapier!
    Hanging yourself may be a bit extreme mate!

But if you pm me I'll gladly take care of your knives when you are gone!
    My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!

Paracord bracelets, keyrings and lanyards available for sale, pm me for details.

www.countrysideadventures.co.uk

VIP Member

You see the word "rights" in the title and don't even have to read the thread, do you?

Thread Information