German Knife Laws - update

Since the thread in the law library is a bit outdated (link is dead), here's my little write-up about the German knife law.

In Germany the following knives are banned:
    - push daggers
    - otf and gravity knives
    - butterfly knives/balisongs
    - knives with knuckle duster handles
    - switchblades with a blade length of more than 8.5cm (blade width doesn't need to be more than 20% the blade length in the middle of the blade anymore)

Under the following circumstances knives are considered weapons:
    - blade is double edged
    - sawback might also count as double edged
    - the knife is intended to be a weapon, e.g. the manufacturer says so (e.g. Kabar TDI is sold as a weapon, so it is seen as a weapon despite the short blade length)
    - knife is a switchblade
    Weapons are only to be carried in locked containers. Weapons of any kind are not to be carried when attending public events, because carring weapons in such cases violates the right of assembly. The right of assembly only grants the right to assemble peacefully, i.e. without weapons.

The following knives may not be carried outside of a locked container without legal reason (includes job, sport, and knives as a part of traditional/national costume, and also for socially adequate use - whatever that is supposed to mean; I'd stick to one of the other, more palpable reasons):
    - locking folders that can be opened one handed
    - fixed blades with a blade length above 12cm

You can carry any of the following knives without legal reason:
    - non-locking folders
    - two handed opening knives, regardless of blade length or locking mechanism
    - fixed blades with a blade length of 12cm and under

Knives and other dangerous items (including axes, batons, and even eggs) may not be carried if you attend political events like demostrations or speeches of politicians on the market place, or similar.

That should be about it.

Ookami
    Last edited by Ookami; 25-05-11 at 05:22 PM.

Account Closed

Re: German Knife Laws - update

Thanks again Ookami.

Danzo

VIP Member

Jesus, with all the nonsense about one hand opening knives I figured you were in trouble but 12cm fixed blades sounds alright! Forget the Griptillian, just carry the Fixed Griptillian!

12cm fixed blade is also what I go for.

That Blade length fits quite a number of my knives: Mora 2000, Böker Bud Nealy, Outdoor Edge Wedge II, several selfmade scandis ...

There is a catch, however, since I am not a Griptilian fan and there ain't no Spyderco Military fixed blade. Well, maybe some day I'll find me an old Temperance FB05, which also fits into the 12cm category.

Ookami, who's carrying a Böker Bud Nealy Utility right now

VIP Member

There's the new Vagabond 2 but the blade length is 12.4cm! I'm sure you could regrind the tip to nudge it under the legal limit.

If not, there's the Spyderco Street Beat which is under 12cm and the blade is kinda-sorta similar to the Military (full flat grind, pointy bowie blade).

You could also grind the tang of a Spyderco Military so that the liner passes all the way across to the opposite side of the knife, turning it into a fixed blade.

I am surprised in a nice way: I assumed the situation was desperate in Germany with the OHO ban, but it is only on the carry side, and you can carry a Buck 110, a slippie with a >3'' blade or a small fixed without legal reason, that's rather neat compared to here!
    My knife-torch-watch combo: UKPK - 6P - no watch!

It is way better than in the UK, that's right. I can carry as much two handed locking folders as I want and even those insanely long Navajas.

As for all of your suggestions, thanx much. I am at the moment content to carry my Böker Bud Nealy, but if the Temperance comes around at a price I can afford, it'll be mine.

But still, compared to Austria it sucks... There, all of the Boy's Toys are legal.

If all goes further down the gutter, you will see me wearing lederhosen and the rest of the Bavarian attire in the future. Not because I am a Bavarian (I was born in Saxony-Anhalt and I don't even understand the Bavarian dialect), but because there is a knife associated with their traditional costume: the Nicker.

I think that very knife is the reason for the 12cm limit on fixed blades. The politicians in Berlin would have gone below that, but the Bavarian conservatives wanted to keep their Nickers.

Ookami

PS: I also have a Gerber Yari, that exceeds the limit only by some mm, but I won't grind down any of my knives, unless the tip is damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Ookami View Post
    but the Bavarian conservatives wanted to keep their Nickers.
    Is it just me or does that "sound" to you too?

I just had a terrible mental image, I'm off to my psychiatrist and it is going to be expensive!

Well, everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out.

There was no pun intended, but well...

I guess you only see what you want to see.

Ookami

VIP Member

Thanks for bringing the new german knife law up, Ookami!

Ookami said:.....................
    "I was born in Saxony-Anhalt and I don't even understand the Bavarian dialect!"

I don`t think they understand your "slang" either!

But back to serious

The situation is not as neat as it sounds to be .
    Many of the german police officers (and politicians) don`t know about the "correct sense" of the new knife law (or don`t want to know?)
    I assume they will confiscate your fixed blade (be it 12 cm or less) when you carry it on your belt in town. Many of them don`t know about /don`t accept a legal reason for carrying one hand opening lockers and will confiscate it.
    I fear the situation will become as bad as in UK if not worse in the not so distant future.
    Ludi

MADE IN GERMANY

I agree that police will probably not accept any legal reasons for carrying OHO folders that are not immediately obvious.

They will most likely confiscate the knife no matter what, just to make sure: "If it is ok to carry, somewhere down the legal road a judge will approve and you get your knife back. If not, I did the right thing."

I don't think, they will confiscate my fixed blade, though. There is no legal reason needed and it is visibly shorter than 12cm.

Ookami

With the last revision the ban on stilettos was lifted. I'll edit the initial post.

Ookami
    "Heavy is reliable." Boris the Blade

Thread Information