Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommend me a Gas Stove/Lantern

Looking for some advice please . I would like to buy a small lightweight gas stove and lantern for overnighters and fishing trips. Stove needs to be able to cook with a small frying pan as well as boil water. And at least a few hours out of the lamp before changing a cartridge. I would like robust gear that lasts. I looked at the Primus and Coleman ranges. Not keen on electronic ignition system, just another thing to go wrong. what have folks used that they would recommend. Grateful for all replies .

Cheers Andy
    Only one oar in the water.

Re: Recommend me a Gas Stove/Lantern

Although not cheap, the SnowPeak Giga power stoves and lanterns are rather good.

VIP Member

coleman f1 lantern,

stevec

VIP Member

Buy A Trangia model 27 set. Add the Gas burner to it and you will have a cook set which will last for many years.

Eco 9 hour candle lanterns are also excellent. they do a three candle set which gives more than enough light as well. The blurb (although I have not tried it!) also say that there is enough heat from the three to boil water!

Regards.

Alan L.

Alan R Lee

Retired! Who said I was retired! Now working longer and harder than ever before!

All I really want to do, is go canoeing!

"A poor life this if, full of care, we have no time to stand & stare". Leisure, W H Davies.

Markill Astro lantern is excellent!

http://walkhigh.co.uk/acatalog/Stoves_and_lanterns.html

I would stick with one with a glass rather than mesh for using outside.
    BB Landy Collector

I know they are not lightweight or gas powered, but i have used Coleman unleaded-fuel lamps and stoves for nearly 20 years. T
    Hobbyist Maker And Adventurer!

I know they are not lightweight or gas powered, but i have used Coleman unleaded-fuel lamps and stoves for nearly 20 years. They are reliable, economic & tough.The fuel can be purchased at any garage and spare parts are cheap and easy to find ( especially on E-bay ).
    Hobbyist Maker And Adventurer!

I use a Gelert Inferno every day for tea, beans, sausages etc. They're cheap and pack down small. The burner head is wide enough to use a frying pan, the flame is easily controllable and the design makes it all very stable. It does have peizo ignition, but I find this really handy when your hands are cold and you can always light it by hand should it not work.

It's worth a look I'd say. The link I found was so long I haven't put it here, but it googles easy enough.
    Warren Earp: Wyatt, you're still a marshal around here, aren't you?
    Doc Holliday: Sure. But now he's going to be a marshal and an outlaw. Best of both worlds, son.

Trader

Quote Originally Posted by leealanr View Post
    Buy A Trangia model 27 set. Add the Gas burner to it and you will have a cook set which will last for many years.
    There's been some grumbling lately about Trangias burning through (by seasoned users) it seems that the build quality may not be what it was.
    "...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leealanr View Post

There's been some grumbling lately about Trangias burning through (by seasoned users) it seems that the build quality may not be what it was.
    Probably best to buy a used old one from "The bay" then. I've not heard of any problems.
    I would go for a small Coleman scerw on gas stove and lamp as they can both run from the same canister. Although not at the same time!

Si
    Lo there do I see my father. Lo there do I see my mother, and my sisters and my brothers. Lo do I see the line of my people back to its beginning. Lo they do call to me and bid me take my place among them, in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever. Lo I walk forwards to my death with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Where?

I can't imagine it doing that unless it bas boiled dry.
    BB Landy Collector

Trader

There was a letter in Trail this month backing up one from last month (didn't see that one) moaning about them. The guy was a long time user and runner of some kind of outdoor thingummy.
    "...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"

Oh right. I will continue taking my chances though, I dont cook on owt but a trangia, I just can't see past them for stability and windproofness.
    BB Landy Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    I have never heard it happening to trangias before, but regular aluminium pots wear out after some years service.
    The hardening process of the aluminium only hardens the outer layer, wich means that it in theory is possible to wear through that.
    Most possible is that people have been buying cheap knock-offs or they have burned their food or scraped the bottom of the pot so much that they wear/burn through from the inside.
    Trangia released a set called Duosal once, the inside of the pots and pans where made from Stainless steel and the outside from Aluminium.
    It is possible to buy spareparts for trangias, all parts, pots and pans can be bought individually.

I second the trangia because its a very stable and easy set-up.
    Primus does some burners that are designed for outdoor cooking for people who uses big pots and pans, check their website.

Honestly I think you should stick with gas. I know lots of people are fond of their (multi?)fuel burners and lanterns, but gas is so much easier, and you wont have your kit smell of kerosene or gasoline for years to come, because you forgot to tighten a lid or screw somewhere.
    Das Obengenannte ist nicht spülmaschinenfest.
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.
    -- Robert Wilensky

Highlander do some great kit, see GAS31 and GAS33 here

I use both and they are well built and have been very reliable!
    Doug Ritter MINI RSK MK1, CF UKPK, Paramilitary 2, Alox Cadet, Charge TTI and PS4

Thread Information