My first more professional knife project.

After seeing all the kinds of knives here I got so hyped on doing myself a more professional knife. I wanted to do it better in both crafting it and making the final product look like the ones here.

This will however be my third knife I've completely finished with polishing, sheath and all.

However, I don't have the tools such as stationary drill, big grinder etc.

Here's what I have.

But the only problem I have had so far when trying to craft knives is to fit the blade in the handle. I don't have access to a welder or similar to heat it up and burn it in after drilling. So I just use my files to fit it, which is pretty time consuming. Got any tips on what I can do instead?

I'm a fan of oddities and smaller knives aren't that normal. It took me some years to finally find a blade this small(4.3cm) and in damascus.

And here's what I have to choose from. I'd like to get the two pieces furthest to the left and then the black pieces on the right identified. I got them all these throughout the years as gifts and similar.
    I like brighter wood but I've always wanted to use the piece furthest to the left. Opinions?

This is what I had in mind. Since the blade is so tiny a smaller handle fits better. And since I have plans on selling it I guess females would like it the most because of their smaller hands.
    Should I make a totally different and larger handle, perhaps making it into a discrete decorative knife shaped sort of like a lipstick?

As for the sheaths I like slim and no beltclips. So at the end of the handle you simply tie the leatherstring or similar to the belt instead. But I'm not too sure.. The sheaths is the part that I have the most problem with anyway, I will gladly take ideas for something else.

Am I having too high hopes?

Also, this won't be done in a week or so. A bit longer than that..
    Last edited by Peperoros; 29-08-09 at 04:31 PM.

Re: My first more professional knife project.

I also use small files, and rasps, to fit the tang into the block
    Most of my work is done with files, rasps, sandingpaper and a handheld powerdrill.
    I have stationary drill and a small benchgrinder, but they are more luxury than necessity
    Das Obengenannte ist nicht spülmaschinenfest.
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true.
    -- Robert Wilensky

For fitting the handle, this is perhaps not the most professional way, but I usually just drill a hole using a bit that's about the same diameter as the tang is wide (except for the last 1 or 2cm of the tang, depending on the size, taper etc) and then just use a bolster to cover the hole and glue. Never had any problems with that

I think the left hand wood would look best. I think the darker colour will go nicer with the blade, and while it looks nice, it's not too busy and, I think, will complement the blade rather than clash or take away from it. A nickel silver bolster and pommel would look sweet with it

That handle shape does look very nice! I'd consider the knife's purpose, though, before committing. I'm not sure about Sweden, but in the UK that knife would be illegal to carry around every day without a good reason. With that in mind, while I think that handle would be lovely for a casual ladies EDC knife, that will probably be used for fairly light cutting, I think that it's just too thin to be used comfortably for heavy cutting. I think that a really smooth, satin-finished and ergonomic handle would possibly be more appealing. If it is for a more light use EDC, I think that's about perfect Very smooth, graceful lines! Careful about cutting too close to the tang hole though, you don't want to make it too thin or cut through completely!

Just my thoughts though, I'm sure that it'll turn out great whatever you choose to do - lovely materials you're workin with And having few tools does have one advantage - you'll take it slow and pay attention The number of times I've dinged a blade on the grinding belt when shaping the handle

Pete

ngraudal: Well I'm glad I'm not alone doing like this!

Draven: I do just like that at the moment. Guess doesn't really matter as long as the blade is stuck and looks good=)

I think I will do one single large order from a swedish crafting company to get what I want, including those nickel bolsters on the end=)

Hmm, you're right about the shape.. Firstly, here in sweden it's allowed to carry blades that are under 5cm(although not wearing it openly) so it would be used for everyday stuff like cutting a fruit, cut a string, open a letter etc.

Just found out that my neighbour has some machines that I might be able to lend =D

Allright, didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll take it here. Pretty much belongs to this topic anyway

I'm making a knife for my aunt. Well, I've been supposed to do it 8years ago.. But just recently started to finish it =D

I made the misstake to make the handle first, without the blade attached.

But I wondered how I should treat the wood. I use boiled lineseed oil for the rest of my woodwork, but what about varnish? Is it a bad choice for a knife that is supposed to be used daily?

This is the roughened up part so far.

I hate the backside line of the handle, it doesn't match the blade at all. Should I make the handle smaller and try to make that line better?

banned

linseed oil is perfect

VIP Member

looks good so far.
    I really like the idea of the shape and sheath design in the drawing in your first post.. Nice
    Make sure to post pics when it is finished

the knife for you aunt looks good as well but i do follow what you say about the handles back line ( maybe have her hold it "hand feel comes before looks" if it is not a surprise that is )

Cheers
    DC
    Daniel Claville

Flames and Fire is forever my Desire, And my Desire shall bend the will of Steel

It's having a bath in lineseed oil at the moment=)

And I had her try the handle last year and she liked it.

I'll be getting some leather this week so next week it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Peperoros View Post
    It's having a bath in lineseed oil at the moment=)

And I had her try the handle last year and she liked it.

I'll be getting some leather this week so next week it will be done.
    I have bought both linseed oil and poppy seed oil recently from Bauhaus.

I have applied them to a piece of plank to see the result but it will be much better see to how your work goes.

Thank you for the report.

Thread Information