Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saw blade knife??

So ofcourse i've heard of making knives from files, bandsaw blades, hacksaw blades and reciprocating saw blades. I'm new at this so ofcourse when you don't have a bunch of money in tools, material, stock and such invested in a brand new hobby, I was just wonding If you can make anything worth while out of saw blades? Circular saw blades? carbide circular saw blades? and what I have on hand, a 12" diamond blade.

Also I always hear talk about old files possibly being good for knives, What about new files?

Re: Saw blade knife??

check out this link, and also th following pics all made from 1 diamond saw from the scrap yard...

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...ad.php?t=89653

I have a few more also, but I am on to making knives from bearings now... see this link

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...ad.php?t=89533

I recommend you practice heat treating on a few small pieces of the saw blade you wish to use and get the hang of tempering.
    Every man and his dog has an opinion on how to properly heat treat, and many make good points but as you do not know the exact alloy in your found materials and you are new to this keep it simple. I would suggest heat your sample to a bit past when the steel is no longer magnetic, quench in oil, put in the oven at 200 deg c for one hour, quench in water. test to see how brittle. if too brittle increase the heat of the temper and try again, when you are happy, heat treat your knife the same way.

Good luck and have a go, it is not as hard to do as you may think, It is hard to do really really well, but worry about that later is my advice.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by corinkayaker; 16-10-09 at 06:29 AM.

If you choose your sawblade steel right and are careful in shaping you can skip heat treating all together.

This Maynard Linder knife is made from a bandsaw blade. He simply cuts it out on a shear and shapes it without overheating the steel.

I don't think carbide circular blades are heat treated like old handsaw or bandsaw blades though. Only the carbide tips are likely hard.

Newer saw blades and files are "case hardened" and not good knife material. Old files esp. nicholson make very good knives.

Harbour freight el-cheapo files are actually high quality steel. Someone on another forum had one analysied and found it to be as good if not better than nicholson steel. Obviously this is not true for all cheap files, some are as rasp said cheap case hardend steel. Basically just get a piece of the steel heat till it no longer attracts a magnet then get it a little hotter and quench in oil. If it snaps when put in a vice and smacked with a hammer, you good to go, if not try quenching in water and smacking with a hammer.

Jamie

Maker

Quote Originally Posted by rasp181 View Post
    Newer saw blades and files are "case hardened" and not good knife material.
    Perhaps this is true in the U.S. but not so in the UK or Europe for the most part.

Some small to medium circular sawblades are H.S.S. and therefore for most of us, no use.

I have had 100% success using circular sawblades for knife blades, to date.
    I have a source of Sheffield saw blades & steel (made from CS80 (1080)
    I also currently have a stack of various TCT & plain sawblades from sawmills & all are high carbon steel.
    If you are canny enough to source these big beauties & have the time to experiment on the heat treat, I'd recommend you try them.

Bahco files are 'new' and make excellent blades.

I agree with all on Nicholson files, they are 1095 & make super blades.

Good luck with your knives & good hunting!

CG

Follow me on Facebook

"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." Christopher Reeve
    "Im just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe" Jango Fett

thanks everyone for the replies. I will be sure to try and HT some questionable steel and see if they snap off. I already have some desert iron wood but I will save that for when I know I can produce something that is worth wrapping with it.

I tried carbide circular saw blades and they won't work unless you can do your own heat treat; even so it's unknown steel. The only part that's hard is the carbide tips. I like "finish" circular saw blades, and they're thinner and I've always had good luck with both Sandvik and Nicholson files.
    Joel C. Bolden
    Halfmoon Knives
    Port Matilda, Pennsylvania
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...201/?start=all
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...202/?start=all

Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm

Maker

HI
    im also new to knife making and on a tight budget so i've been playing with what ever i can find ,sofar ive made 3 blades from files ,3 from an old sawblade and i'm buisy making a blade from an old garden spade (bulldog brand i think). i tested it by hardening a small piece and hitting it with a hammer , it broke like glass , so hopefully it will take an edge. my next experiment will be with hedge cutter blades and lawnmower blades .
    i think ive got enough steel for about another 30 blades if it all hardens up nicely
    just keep on trying different steels and and find one you can get cheeply (so far ive only payed for epoxy and sand paper)

good luck
    warren

My resources weren't rich at the old times.

Made this one in 1993:

Unfortunately, this steel was not so tough as I had expected.

It had Turkish walnut scales with metric 8 metal screws. Steel is from a 60 cm power hacksaw blade. Lanyard hole is the original hole of the saw. Overall size is about 29-30 cm.

This is made from a reciprocating saw blade. It was on sale at Bauhaus a couple of years ago. It is now a kitchen knife.

It was a hell to drill the small hole.

It used to look like the second on the right.

This small piece is the remainder of a knife I made in 1995. The knife looked like the first knife - sans saw teeth. The steel is from a 30 cm power hacksaw blade. Loved this steel so much. It is tough and it sharpens well.

Quote Originally Posted by warrensmith View Post
    HI
    im also new to knife making and on a tight budget so i've been playing with what ever i can find ,sofar ive made 3 blades from files ,3 from an old sawblade and i'm buisy making a blade from an old garden spade (bulldog brand i think). i tested it by hardening a small piece and hitting it with a hammer , it broke like glass , so hopefully it will take an edge. my next experiment will be with hedge cutter blades and lawnmower blades .
    i think ive got enough steel for about another 30 blades if it all hardens up nicely
    just keep on trying different steels and and find one you can get cheeply (so far ive only payed for epoxy and sand paper)

good luck
    warren
    I'd like to know about the lawnmower blades because I have a good supply of those ( working at a small engine repair shop) Also Chainsaw guide bars. I know they are harded steel because we can't drill them without carbide drill bits, but the thing is they are 3 pieces of steel laminated together. So a forge would probably be nice to have. Also heard about using chainsaw chain and forging that into a knife. Lots of things to try and find out about i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Grant
    but not so in the UK or Europe for the most part.

Some small to medium circular sawblades are H.S.S. and therefore for most of us, no use.

I can confirm this part, even carbide tipped circular blades are made from low alloyed tool steel, most cases it is a steel between C70 and C85 hardened at ~46HRC, sometimes they've a chromium hard surface/coating. Even this surface does not avoid an individual HT at home when a reliable temperature control is available.

Quote Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
    I'd like to know about the lawnmower blades because I have a good supply of those ( working at a small engine repair shop)
    Also Chainsaw guide bars.
    I know they are harded steel because we can't drill them without carbide drill bits, but the thing is they are 3 pieces of steel laminated together.
    Hello,

are you sure that *all* guide bars are laminated?
    I've got one that was riveted at three or four points and point welded at two other points. The front"wheel" and its bearing was riveted around.
    The hardness may come frome a stronger spring tempering, mine was drillable with HSSE drills.

I repeat my advice from a similar thread a few weeks ago:
    When a saw mill is in the vicinity or somewhere along a travelling route or along your way to work, make a stop there and ask for sorted out saw blades - unimportant whether from circular or gate saw. Winter season should be ideal for that search, during winter season, the saw mill operators often revise their engines and equipment so that the chance to get "new" sorted out blades is high.
    My circular saw blades from C75 have a 900mm/35" diameter, my gate saw blades from C85 various lengths from 1000mm/40" up to >6ft

Greets Andreas

Account Closed

I'm moving this down to 'The Cutlers Forge'.

Danzo

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasH View Post
    I can confirm this part, even carbide tipped circular blades are made from low alloyed tool steel, most cases it is a steel between C70 and C85 hardened at ~46HRC, sometimes they've a chromium hard surface/coating. Even this surface does not avoid an individual HT at home when a reliable temperature control is available.

Hello,

are you sure that *all* guide bars are laminated?
    I've got one that was riveted at three or four points and point welded at two other points. The front"wheel" and its bearing was riveted around.
    The hardness may come frome a stronger spring tempering, mine was drillable with HSSE drills.

I repeat my advice from a similar thread a few weeks ago:
    When a saw mill is in the vicinity or somewhere along a travelling route or along your way to work, make a stop there and ask for sorted out saw blades - unimportant whether from circular or gate saw. Winter season should be ideal for that search, during winter season, the saw mill operators often revise their engines and equipment so that the chance to get "new" sorted out blades is high.
    My circular saw blades from C75 have a 900mm/35" diameter, my gate saw blades from C85 various lengths from 1000mm/40" up to >6ft

Greets Andreas
    there are precision ground bars that I believe may just have the grove milled in the bar for the chain. But those don't come around nearly as much as the ones that are spot welded together, or electronically welded. I think these 3 bars are the ones i'll look out from stihl. Or atleast hunt down a couple to test HT on and see what they do.

STIHL DUROMATIC® E
    Solid, laser-welded, high-carbon alloy steel bars with induction-hardened rails and special hard surface alloy tipping on the nose for extra long life. They are made from the highest quality steel and are cut by laser for consistent quality and durability. Available from 16" through 47".

STIHL ROLLOMATIC® E Standard
    Three-part (spot welded) laminated guide bar made of high-grade steel with star-shaped sprocket.

Applications: All-around bar suitable for occasional, midrange or professional user.

STIHL ROLLOMATIC® ES Super
    Solid machined bar made of high-grade steel with a replaceable bar nose sprocket assembly.

Applications: For high-performance professional woodcutting with high-powered, heavy-duty saws. Available from 16" to 59".

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Grant View Post
    Perhaps this is true in the U.S. but not so in the UK or Europe for the most part.

I have a source of Sheffield saw blades & steel (made from CS80 (1080)
    I also currently have a stack of various TCT & plain sawblades from sawmills & all are high carbon steel.
    If you are canny enough to source these big beauties & have the time to experiment on the heat treat, I'd recommend you try them.
    Bahco files are 'new' and make excellent blades.
    I agree with all on Nicholson files, they are 1095 & make super blades.
    Good luck with your knives & good hunting!
    CG
    the small saw blades are High Speed Steel (hss) you cannot heat treat at home but they can be re heat treated. btw the Nicholson files are made from something closer to w2 (basically 1095 with more carbon and vanadium. but they basically are the same in use so no big deal). i forge from leaf springs primarily so i have a HUGE range of options as opposed to stock removal. plus hammering can be more satisfying, but in the end we all get to the same place. leafsprings can be a good source of steel (5160, 5260, 1085, 1095 etc). have fun finding steel. and make friends with those who have scrap tool steel! they are handy for making things. if you can source jackhammer bits they are s5 or s7. they make great hot work tools as they have high red hardness compared to some other steels (51/5260 work great too from leafsprings).
    And in the end it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.
    - Abraham Lincoln
    No man understands a deep book until he has seen and lived at least part of its contents.
    - Ezra Pound

Thread Information