Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

waterproof watch battery change?

Hello,
    I recently had to get a replacement battery for my Seiko watch and the guy informed me (after i asked) that the watch was no longer guaranteed to be waterproof. I just wanted to know how or where i can get the battery replaced so that i know it has been done properly and the watch is sealed? Ideally i'd like to be able to have it done face to face, rather than having to send it away, so recommendations for anywhere vaguely near Edinburgh would be particularly good.
    Thanks for any advice

Re: waterproof watch battery change?

Buy a Suunto instead, the battery comes with a new cover and seal.
    Mike.

Semper Vigilans

Quote Originally Posted by BorderReiver View Post
    Buy a Suunto instead, the battery comes with a new cover and seal.
    sounds like a good idea

The reason why your watch is not guaranteed is because whoever changed the battery did not have a vacuum machine to test it after the change: it does not mean he did a bad job.
    I'll see if I can find somebody in your neck of the woods
    Well, everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The reason why your watch is not guaranteed is because whoever changed the battery did not have a vacuum machine to test it after the change: it does not mean he did a bad job.
    I'll see if I can find somebody in your neck of the woods
    That makes sense I wasn't too convinced by the place i had it done anyway, so if there is somewhere in my neck of the woods that has a good reputation then that would be great

I had a seiko battery changed today and was advised that if I wanted guaranteed waterproofness, it would need to be returned to seiko.
    Quoth the server: "404."

The lorus waterproof range of watches are also made by Seiko, I remember taking a dip in the lake and afterwards finding my watch did not function.

I had not long before had the battery replaced. I did pay to have it dried out and resealed. Nowadays whenever I have a watch battery replaced I make sure that it is pressure tested afterwards. There are many watch repairers who do this, the thing is to avoid the cheap battery booths who don't

I have another lorus watch that is perfectly happy when I swim with it, having taken those precautions

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYLASER View Post
    I had a seiko battery changed today and was advised that if I wanted guaranteed waterproofness, it would need to be returned to seiko.
    That will always be the case. However if the guy can test your watch you can be confident about getting it wet

The first link I was given, but without any direct recommendation yet:
    http://www.smilelocal.com/jewellers/edinburgh

Thanks very much for all the help Hopefully i can find somewhere reputable that can pressure test. What do you think i can expect to pay for getting a new battery with a pressure test?

I've had a couple of Seikos over a few years - every time I had a battery changed by one of the "cheepo" places it leaked. I recall sending one to Seiko and although I can't recall the price, it must have been fairly low otherwise I'd have remembered !

That said, the last battery replacement was done by a "proper" jeweler in Perth and was fine. They replaced the seal as well - thats the key. Again, the price was low enough for me not to recall how much.

As I recall, it took me a few phone calls to find a jeweler who could do the battery AND the seal.

Mike.

Mike.

Thanks for that Mike, at least i know i can nip to perth if i don't turn anything up a bit closer to home.

I've been googling but haven't found anyone that says that they can pressure test in or around Edinburgh yet.

Administrator
    Blog Entries

The only people who can change the battery and maintain the guarantee is Seiko. This doesnt mean nobody else can do the job properly, it just means that only Seiko will do it and keep the guarantee running. It's not worth the cost IMO.

I bought an adjustable 3-point watch case tool off ebay and now do my own. They are cheap.

There are rubber o-ring seals on the back, when you do the job yourself, you can check the integrity of the seals and order/replace if needed. You can also buy the seals off ebay ...and of course, the batteries.
    δxδp≥h/4π

Account Closed

That's a very cool little tool Martyn. I don't even wear a watch and I still want one of those!

Danzo

Most cheap places dont replace the seals. If the seals are carefully replaced and lubed theres no reason why it should leak but without a pressure test its a gamble you may or may not be prepared to take depending on the watch!

Ive happily stripped and rebuilt 7S26 Seiko divers and used them in the water untested, never a problem but all the parts are cheaply replaceable. Ive done it with 6309 divers, again no problems, movements for these can be had quite cheaply but original dials are virtually unobtanium, they make me kinda nervous and I generally only wet the ones with aftermarket dials. I've resealed 6105 divers but I wouldnt get them wet even if they had been pressure tested, theyre too valuable, the crown seals are a little vulnerable and all the parts are unavailable, its a vintage watch, why risk it?

By the time you get up to Rolex Sub money it would be silly to wet them without a test and if youre diving with them they should be tested yearly.
    Jason

Thread Information