Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greece and Turkey carry laws

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but if it isn't then please feel free to move it.

I'm off to the out-backs of Greece and Turkey in a few weeks time and was wondering if any one knew their out look on knives? Are you allowed to carry them out there?
    Steve...

If you are going to survive out there...you've really got to know where your towel is!

Re: Greece and Turkey carry laws

Did you ever get a response? I am possibly traveling to Greece later this year.

Account Closed

I have tried to find out some info folks but my lack of either Greek or Turkish has posed a problem.

Danzo

I have some Greek friends. I will email and see what I can find out.

The market area in Athens has quite a few shops selling all sorts of stuff worthy of your average Battle Orders catalogue....

I do know that you can carry a small lockback legally in urban areas in Greece.

As for hill walking, be carefull where you go. The boarder with Albania is rife with armed groups and is used for bringing over women forced into prostitution. A few years back a friend of mine witnessed a naked woman being chased down by an Albanian gang when he was out walking near his family home.

Afraid I dont know about Turkey.
    Mike Becker

My China blog: http://mjjbecker.spaces.msn.com/

VIP Member

You have to be careful overseas (USA included). Most carry laws apply only to citizens of the country and 'visitors' are excluded.
    Ross

"The paranoid are merely those in full possession of the facts"

"Could it be because we choose not to identify with people who can only express themselves through rage and violence?"

My first post!

I am Greek! So I can answer this.

The Hellenic Law is very vague on matters conserning knives. It states clearly that double edged knives, balisongs, automatics, short swords and bayonets are illegal. As far as other knives are conserned they are legal under if carried with intent to be used in an outdoor activity. So if asked why are you carrying it, don't say for protection, say because you used to be a boyscout and you have a habit of carrying it for chores ...

I have carried through the years a Masters of Defene Trident, a Strider SNG and now a Small Sebenza. I have been found carrying them and was not even asked why I carry a knife.

Though it is on the officer's descretion if your are to be taken in custody because he might consider you were carrying with intent to harm someone. In such case you would be put to jail until trial the next morning, were you are going to be found inocent. It has happened, but the guy it happened to, did not evn have his national id, so I can justify it. So a karambit or a hideaway neck knife will not make a good impression and might result a night in jail.

You guys have another advantage, you are turists, so the Police will probably not bother you as soon as they see your passport.

Turkey: One rule DO NOT carry a blade other then a 'normal' Red Victorinox! Also things are known to be 'lost' from suitcases through customs! You DO NOT want to spend the night in a Turkish jail, even if it is only for one night!

I hope this helps.

EDIT: There is only one GOOD knife shop in Ahtens. If you want the adress let me know.
    Last edited by MitsosOSougi; 12-06-05 at 10:01 PM.

Hi Mitsos welcome to BB.
    Thanks for the information. As usual the key word is context.

Having once been helped by Greek police on Corfu I have nothing but praise. As soon as they realised I was neither drunk or violent they just couldn't do enough for me.

Turkey on the other hand may be populated by great people but civil rights has rather held back EU membership. I've never had a problem but your advise is sound and very sensible.
    Tim

"We also have a data protection act, which I will hide behind."

- Phil Jones @ CRU

Account Closed

Hi Mitsos and welcome to BB.

Thank you very much for your post. If you don't mind I will add it to the 'Law Library' which is our database of law at the top of the Law section.

Danzo

Thanks for the warm wellcome guys. You can put the thread on the Law Libary, I am gald I helped.

Unfortunately I just lurk in here, since I am more interested on tactical knives and only as an end user. I this forum has been very educational! Although I have to admit that I have one knive that I bought for the sake of collecting, a Ranadall Model 2 Boot Knife.

VIP Member

Hi Mitsos and welcome to BB.

Any chance of a photo of the Randall?
    Stephen

Consume alcohol sensibly - life is too short to drink bad wine

Sure I will take a couple when I get home tonight.

The information I recieved:

"You cannot carry a knife that may be deemed as a weapon. In short, if you
    are a butcher, you can have a knife in your car as you are carrying to your
    place of work. If you are a mailman, no. The law states 1.5 inch for
    grooming knives.

Basically, it's up to the judge. "
    Mike Becker

My China blog: http://mjjbecker.spaces.msn.com/

Bex: Unfortunately your friends got it wrong. Let them have a look at
    http://homepages.pathfinder.gr/SSC/a...N2168-1993.htm (in Greek)

So lets get lawy.

Under Law Ν 2168/1993 / Α-147 Tittle: Weapons - Ammunition - Explosives and related matters.

Article 7: "Possetion", Paragraph 5

"A license is not required and not supplied for the posession of knives that are to be used for proffesionaly, fishing, hunting, crafts, arts, or other related use, as well blades that are to be used in for sporting purpose icludiding swords and rapiers."

Under the same law,

Article 10 "Bearing Weapons"

Knives are not mentioned (meaning that bearing them as long as in compliance with Art. 7 Par. 5 makes it legal)

Also under:

Article 6 "Trade and Procurement", Paragraph 4 sub Paragraph β

"A special license in not needed in order to trade or procure knives that are to be used for proffesionaly, fishing, hunting, crafts, arts, or other related use."

To conclude, the Hellenic Goverment lets citizens buy, sell knives without a lisense. It is excplicitly stated that possesing a knive for a lawfull purpose is not restricted and a license doesn't exist. Also on the article on "bearing weapons" nothing is stated in relation to knives (bearing swords is restricted in many ways).

Thus as long as it can be characterised as a utility knife, it is
    legal.

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by MitsosOSougi
    Bex: Unfortunately your friends got it wrong. Let them have a look at
    http://homepages.pathfinder.gr/SSC/a...N2168-1993.htm (in Greek)

So lets get lawy.

Under Law Ν 2168/1993 / Α-147 Tittle: Weapons - Ammunition - Explosives and related matters.

Article 7: "Possetion", Paragraph 5

"A license is not required and not supplied for the posession of knives that are to be used for proffesionaly, fishing, hunting, crafts, arts, or other related use, as well blades that are to be used in for sporting purpose icludiding swords and rapiers."

Under the same law,

Article 10 "Bearing Weapons"

Knives are not mentioned (meaning that bearing them as long as in compliance with Art. 7 Par. 5 makes it legal)

Also under:

Article 6 "Trade and Procurement", Paragraph 4 sub Paragraph β

"A special license in not needed in order to trade or procure knives that are to be used for proffesionaly, fishing, hunting, crafts, arts, or other related use."

To conclude, the Hellenic Goverment lets citizens buy, sell knives without a lisense. It is excplicitly stated that possesing a knive for a lawfull purpose is not restricted and a license doesn't exist. Also on the article on "bearing weapons" nothing is stated in relation to knives (bearing swords is restricted in many ways).

Thus as long as it can be characterised as a utility knife, it is
    legal.

Excellent, Mitsos, thanks a lot.

I tried having a look at a couple of government ministry sites that I thought would be relevent, but I couldn't find any English pages (apart from on the Prime Minister's site).

Ministry of Public Order is at http://www.ydt.gr/

Ministry of Justice is at http://www.mathra.gr/

Ministry for the Interior, Public Administration & Decentralisation is at http://www.ypes.gr/

Keith.

Have spent a summer walking in Northern Greece and a couple of months in the wilds of Southern Turkey, I had my Alan Wood Woodlore with me on both occasions. The folks who saw me using it, who tended to be fishermen, shepherd families and Greek mountaineers didn't bat an eyelid.

The only problem I had was at the end of the Turkish trip I arrived at Istanbul Airport where the police were searching people before they were allowed inside the terminal.

My knife was taken from inside my sleeping bag where I'd hoped it would travel securely in the hold and I was informed "you will get this back in Amsterdam".

And the really quite surprising thing was, it was waiting for me in Amsterdam!
    Last edited by sandbender; 17-06-05 at 10:59 PM.

Thread Information