Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sheffield Dagger?

i have seen loads of talk about sheffield knives on here so hopefully you can help. my nan just found a dagger in a box in the attic and on the blade there is an eye and next to it it says:
    TAYLOR WITNESS
    SHEFFIELD
    ENGLAND

pics:

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Sheffield Dagger?

Yeah, as the name says, it's a Taylor's Eye Witness knife. They were made by the thousand back in the 70's and 80's, mostly with a short bowie style blade, but it's of the same range. Fairly cheap I'm afraid.

If you are interested in the history of the Eye Witness works, there are some nice pictures here...
    http://www.taylors-eye-witness.co.uk/history2.htm

You could ask Russell White if you want more info, he still works there.
    δxδp≥h/4π

The style of knife shown was made as far back as World War 2. There is a US Army image showing one being sharpened by a GI just prior to D Day in the book el Cuchill Tactico by Abel Domenech. They were also made by other firms examples by Southern and Rhoden being known.

RETDPMSO

banned

It looks some what similar to the Fairbairn sykes

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RETDPMSO View Post
    The style of knife shown was made as far back as World War 2. There is a US Army image showing one being sharpened by a GI just prior to D Day in the book el Cuchill Tactico by Abel Domenech. They were also made by other firms examples by Southern and Rhoden being known.

RETDPMSO
    ....and indeed, about 3000 years before that.

Could do with Russell really, he could probably give us a date range for manufacture of that model.
    δxδp≥h/4π

VIP Member

I think everybody and their mother in Sheffield were making knives to this design using the same blade blanks, Reg Cooper was still at it till very recently, he may still be knocking them out.

As Martyn posted, Russell is your man to give you the specifics on your knife. Pretty common but still a nice piece of history.
    OIL THE JOINTS KEEP THE FAITH

Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
    ....and indeed, about 3000 years before that.

Could do with Russell really, he could probably give us a date range for manufacture of that model.
    sorry i cant be of much help with this as we stopped making them about 3 years before i started there. in fact, one of my first jobs was clearing out the main 'shop where these were made. that day we must have thrown away thousands of blades and countless thousands of parts used in making these

if only i'd known

though i will see if i can find any info re: dates etc from some of the old catalogues
    Last edited by Russell White; 24-02-10 at 12:44 AM.

Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by russell white View Post
    in fact, one of my first jobs was clearing out the main 'shop where these were made. that day we must have thrown away thousands of blades and countless thousands of parts used in making these

Did they have a yellow star on them Russell? That's knife genocide if ever I heard it.

Dare I ask what happened to all of the blades and parts? And I know you'll probably say they either went into a furnace or a skip.....

So much was lost through arrogance and ignorance.

Not you, of course.

Danzo

Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Danzo View Post

Did they have a yellow star on them Russell? That's knife genocide if ever I heard it.

Dare I ask what happened to all of the blades and parts? And I know you'll probably say they either went into a furnace or a skip.....

So much was lost through arrogance and ignorance.

Not you, of course.

Danzo
    At the time i was a 20 year old, on his first day in a new job, who knew nothing about knives except that you could cut spuds up for chips with them so i did as i was told. now, being a bit more knowledgeable, i would have put up a bit of resistence. sadly, it would have been to no avail though. once 'management' decide something there is no talking them round, as you know i have tried numerous times. as an example, we have some full integral bolstered kitchen knife blades that have been discontinued by john lewis, there is probably 8 or 9 hundred blades that have been forged, hardened and tempered, ground and semi polished and have been stuck in my shop for nearly 2 years now. i know there are many members on here who would jump at the chance to build their own kitchen knivesbut dont have access to a forge or able to heat treat or grind etc. i have asked them to let me offer them for sale on here and all i get back is "we will get back to you". they dont so the blades will sit there for another few years and then when they decide on another clearout they will go the same way as the parts referred to earlier- in the skip

russell
    Last edited by Russell White; 25-02-10 at 12:39 AM.

VIP Member

icant remember if they had any markings at all mate, at the time i was a 20 year old, on his first day in a new job, who knew nothing about knives except that you could cut spuds up for chips with them so i did as i was told. now, being a bit more knowledgeable, i would have put up a bit of resistence. sadly, it would have been to no avail though. once 'management' decide something there is no talking them round, as you know i have tried numerous times. as an example, we have some full integral bolstered kitchen knives that have been discontinued by john lewis, there is probably 8 or 9 hundred blades that have been forged, hardened and tempered, ground and semi polished and have been stuck in my shop for nearly 2 years now. i know there are many members on here who would jump at the chance to build their own kitchen knives but dont have access to a forge or able to heat treat or grind etc. i have asked them to let me offer them for sale on here and all i get back is "we will get back to you". they dont so the blades will sit there for another few years and then when they decide on another clearout they will go the same way as the parts referred to earlier- in the skip

russell
    You're not wrong mate. There would be lots of takers on them i bet.
    Previously known as Seagull1957
    www.oldoakknives.com

Account Closed

The yellow star comment wasn't me being clever about markings on Sheffield knives Russell, it's was a reference to the Jews in Germany. It was perhaps a slighty crass comment given I'm of Jewish heritage myself.

But when so much of Sheffields history has been lost, to hear that within your own experience knives have been shovelled into skips is just awful.

I know you want to change things, but the people in charge don't seem to have a clue.

Danzo

Maker

The yellow star comment wasn't me being clever about markings on Sheffield knives Russell, it's was a reference to the Jews in Germany. It was perhaps a slighty crass comment given I'm of Jewish heritage myself.

But when so much of Sheffields history has been lost, to hear that within your own experience knives have been shovelled into skips is just awful.

I know you want to change things, but the people in charge don't seem to have a clue.

Danzo
    i had already edited the post after figuring out the yellow star comment you are right though mate, they just do not have a clue. it frustrates me every single day, believe me

Account Closed

i had already edited the post after figuring out the yellow star comment you are right though mate, they just do not have a clue. it frustrates me every single day, believe me
    I know mate.

You must feel like the bloke who got in the lifeboat from the Titanic and radioed 'it's sunk' and the management sent back 'we don't believe you, it can't sink'......

Danzo

Skips and scrap!

Infuriating to some obviously and an oft repeated story about what was/is considered 'scrap' in Sheffield, but it all comes down to a question of perspective really: beauty being in the eye of the beholder etc.

A blade blank, seen as a characterless, inert piece of steel bar is one thing: watching it become transformed, and embellished through skill into a highly desirable finished knife, is another. However, one man's treasure is and always has been, another man's dross as they say.

Fortunately for to-day's knife collectors these pre and post-war Boy Scout type knives were sold in vast quantities and in many forms for three or four decades, and whilst finding those in mint condition is not easy, the number of used but good examples, that I personally come across at any rate, is quite high.

The huge number of 'scrap' blades etc., that were thrown out of the grinder's hull window at Clarke's on Mowbray Street straight into the River Don would have been enough to form a dam - a slight exaggeration perhaps, but true nontheless.
    T.
    Last edited by OWDTOM; 25-02-10 at 04:17 PM.

... but the people in charge don't seem to have a clue. Danzo
    Unfortunately, this has become generalised. The lunatics have taken over the asylum. As we say in work, MBA=Management By A**holes. My daily work is an attempt to stay afloat in a sea of BS and irrationality that is gnawing away at my mental well being.

nick

Thread Information